As the semester winds down and the winter quickly encroaches, I have come to the realization that this has been a year of change and growth. I started out the semester trying to find my way back to the way things were only to discover those were the things I had outgrown. It’s always a sobering moment when you realize the world you used to know so well has gone and caught itself in a freeze frame of sorts; the pieces just don’t fit anymore.
- helped a transgender student remind fellow students and instructors that the institution was one that embraced diversity, which was also written into policy.
- literally made an impromptu trip to attend a conference that would create potential for future programming and coordination opportunities.
- learned empathy after seeing the full scope of how students process and deal with their stress levels throughout the semester; some better than others.
- coordinated efforts between various clubs and organizations on campus hoping to improve communication and encourage collaboration among the student body.
- grew an appreciation for the student leaders that work with our department and all the hard work they do.
- had a lot of fun getting to know my co-workers a bit more and take part in the occasional office prank or two.
- fully embraced the fact that there is only one doctor: THE DOCTOR
It’s been a crazy insane semester, and I am so glad it is over. I am looking forward to traveling and seeing old friends over winter break. As the sun sets on the final days of the year 2011, I hope to go into the new year moving forward—no turning back.